Saturday, January 29, 2011

Tunisia to California Pushing for Voices

Sitting in a quaint yet very modern Tibetan cafe across the way from my guesthouse, I read for the first time about the protests that have been happening across the Arab world. My friend back in California wrote to me a few weeks ago briefly describing the situation Tunisia was facing but I had not had any chance to learn anything more while in Nepal. The Times of India might even compare to BBC News with the vast global news it covers. A small article with an image of people waving baguettes and holding up French placards follows all the different stories regarding Egypt's internet shut down, Jordan’s King Abdullah II facing new demands and Tunisia’s massive movement to bring about transparency to their country. The Thai protest in Bangkok denouncing their leaders at a red shirt protest shows their support with the new popular revolt in Tunisia.

Yesterday, we crossed the border into India’s state of Bihar two days late. India’s National Holiday for Independence called for major celebrations in addition to major protests throughout the streets of India, especially in regions dominated by Islamic Indians. The state of Bihar adjacent to Nepal’s southern border is also in close proximity to Islamic Bangladesh. The bus ride was filled with over one hundred men with Kunzes and I sitting on the front seats. There was one other woman besides us who joined us for a few hours on the journey. Covered in black, the only part of her I was able to see were her darkened hands. I could tell when she was looking at me at times due to the impression her nose made in her burqa. I was told by a french journalist a few weeks back that foreign women visiting Irhan are given burqas to wear upon arrival at Tehran’s international airport. I wonder what it would be like to spend my life covered entirely, without giving my eyes chances to feel fresh air. Then again, who are we to judge and think we know what other people want.


With protests feeding off other protests, people around the world at this moment are pushing for political freedoms in the way they believe to be free.

The United States has so much say in the way things work around this world. It is nice to know I have a friend from high school back at home who has mastered the French language and in the process mastering fluency in Arabic. Studying at Stanford University she just made a trip down to San Fransisco joining the Arab American communities in demonstrations taking full advantange of the freedoms which we are blessed with in the United States to help support in pushing accountability in these countries where voices go unheard.

No comments:

Post a Comment